San Juan, Puerto Rico - In the absence of response from the Basketball Federation of Puerto Rico in relation to the hosting rights of the major tournament, CONCENCABA has said it will retire the country’s previously announced hosting duties as host of the Centrobasket to be played from June 18 to 23.
In addition, Mr. Garcia said that the Federation will receive a heavy fine for leaving an event within three months of its completion. This penalty could cost the federation much more than it would to their own organization as well as the costs involved in traveling to Mexico.
Mr. Garcia reported that he is in full knowledge that the President of the Puerto Rican Basketball Federation, Mr. Carlos Beltran has made numerous attempts in several municipalities and even the Department of Tourism, but so far has had no positive news and therefore it cannot wait any longer.
The Secretary underlined the fact that Puerto Rico was granted the hosting bid to event that was in a process that also had the city of Culiacan, Sinaloa, Mexico, as candidates who will replace the Caribbean island in this instance.
This event is a qualifier for the Championship of the Americas 2013, and it will be a preparation of two of the teams that will contest the three spots to the London Olympic Games that will be played in Caracas from next July 2 to 8 for the Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico, so the tournament is to be a great event for both countries.
Mr. Garcia reported that Mr. Beltran has 72 hours to make a final decision, with the term expiring on Wednesday night, April 4th.